Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: hostmap.nse improved! Added new "ip to hosts" service provider

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:00:10 -0700

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:52:09AM -0700, Paulino Calderon wrote:
Hey everyone,

    This week the GSoC NSE team had a meeting where we discussed how
Bing and the search keywords "ip:<ip>" return additional hostnames
that hostmap's current service provider,
http://www.bfk.de/bfk_dnslogger.html, do not.

Long story short, I wrote http://www.whataremyhosts.com, an 'ip to
hosts' service provider that uses Bing results and I added support
to it in hostmap.nse.

The new argument 'hostmap.provider' may take the identifier of one
of the providers (BFK or BING) or it will use both databases to
create the list of hostnames.

Usage examples:
* nmap --script hostmap --script-args 'hostmap.provider=BING'
calderonpale.com <-Only bing
* nmap --script hostmap --script-args 'hostmap.provider=BFK'
calderonpale.com <-Only BFK
* nmap --script hostmap calderonpale.com <- Uses both databases and
merges results by default.

It works well for me.

David Fifield