Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] mac-geolocation : BSSID (MAC) address based geolocation of WiFi access points

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 19:52:17 -0400

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Gorjan Petrovski <mogi57 () gmail com> wrote:
Without further ado, here is the updated version of the script.

Changes made:
* The null location (the IP based location of our host when a MAC is
invalid) is now stored in the registry so it's only generated from the
geolocation database only once per scan
* the nmap.registry[host.ip]["mac-geolocation"] array is read for
MACs, which will be filled by snmp-interfaces.nse (with a patch I'm
making)
* added a dependecy for snmp-interfaces.nse
* a manufacturer is added to the output alongside the MAC address
* updated NSEDoc
* fixed some bugs

I've tested the Skyhook API in every way I know, using several proxies
(including Tor exit nodes), but I've not been able to get a location
response. The API response is OK, but the location lookup doesn't
return a location. I've also contacted Skyhook, but they haven't
replied. I looked through the official APIs of Skyhook, and they offer
a proprietary compiled library which I suppose is out of the question.
I'm just gonna leave it there, because it might return a good location
for someone, somewhere.

Gorjan, go ahead and remove the SkyHook specific code from the script
since it isn't proving useful. We have a record of the code here on
the mailing list archives in case we need to revisit using SkyHook.

When that's done, unless anyone has last minute objections, please
commit the script.

--
- Patrick Donnelly