Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 address range

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 18:48:15 -0700

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 07:50:29PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
Hi,

It is currently not possible to specify IPv6 address range, however it
might be very usefull for some setups.  I have an access to the network
with a range of routers: net-prefix::1 - net-prefix::2f (some of them
are assigned to the same physical machines).  Of course, they are
manuallly assigned.  It would be rather handy to specify them as a
range, not as a result of a bash regexp substitution.

I agree.  And as Luis noted, we are working extensively on improving
IPv6 support this summer.  And we have this task item in the TODO
(http://nmap.org/svn/todo/nmap.txt):

o Add IPv6 subnet/pattern support like we offer for IPv4.
 o Obviously we can't go scanning a /48 in IPv6, but small subnets do
   make sense in some cases.  For example, the VPS hosting company
   Linode assigns only one IPv6 address per user (unless they pay) and
   you can find many Linode machines by scanning certain /112's.  And
   patterns might be useful because people assigned /64's might still
   put their machines at ::1, ::2, etc.

Anyone is welcome to try their hands at implementing this.

    "IPv6 addresses can only be specified by their fully qualified IPv6
    address or hostname. CIDR and octet ranges aren't supported for IPv6
    because they are rarely useful."

Good catch.  I think we've changed our minds on that one.  I just
changed the comment to:

  "IPv6 addresses can only be specified by their fully qualified IPv6
   address or hostname.  CIDR and octet ranges aren't yet supported
   for IPv6."

The change won't be reflected in the online man page until the next
time I run the regeneration script.

Cheers,
Fyodor