Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nessus port 8834 not in service list

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:01:40 -0700

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 06:10:41PM +0100, Robin Wood wrote:
The new(ish) Nessus port of 8834 isn't included in the nmap services file:

grep 8834 /usr/local/share/nmap/nmap-services
unknown       18834/udp       0.000654

Can you tell a little more about this port? We currently have

nessus  1241/tcp        0.000113        # Nessus or remote message server
nessus  1241/udp        0.000330
nessus  3001/tcp        0.003124        # Nessus Security Scanner (www.nessus.org) Daemon or chili!soft asp

If this is a different protocol, I tend to think it should have a
different name. Is it a control port, or the same as one of these other
ports, or something else? (Probably there are some Nessus users who can
say something about it.)

David Fifield