Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: xmpp.nse

From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segooon () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 19:42:54 +0400

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 14:28 -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:15:44PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:

I would prefer that the script not do a DNS SRV lookup. Other NSE
scripts don't work that way; rather, they have a portrule that causes
the script to be run when the script already appears to be the right
service. The way it is written now, the script will run for every host
(that is not identified by only an IP address).

Since making this comment, I've learned a bit more about how XMPP works.
Is it true that the SRV lookup is needed in some cases, for example with
Google Talk?

Yes, gmail.com doesn't answer on 5222 port (it's filtered).  To connect
to gmail.com you have to resolve _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com and connect
to the hostname in SRV answer.

If so, I do not object to adding this part back in, as long
as it is carefully written so it doesn't run against every host.

Is there any script that resolves MX record for the target?  If yes, it
can be natively extended by resolving SRV _xmpp-client._tcp and
_xmpp-server._tcp.  The only thing is that most of jabber servers need
their original DNS name (before SRV resolution) and I see no simple way
to automatically pass it from DNS resolution to the actual host scan.
A plain addition the resolved name to the list of scanned hosts with the
saved DNS name is probably not the best way - it is not intuitively
clear to the user.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy