Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: xmpp.nse

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 23:15:08 +0200

2011/5/4 Vasiliy Kulikov <segooon () gmail com>:
I've also added a check whether the server wants his real DNS name is
the handshake.  The script tries to connect with the supplied DNS name,
then with alternative name (defaults to dummy ".", may be changed via
xmpp.alt_server_name).  If both outputs are the same (in respect to
errors) then the server ignores his name.

--
Vasiliy

Thanks Vasiliy for this new version.

I've checked it in as r23115 with minor modifications only:
  - fixed a typo in @arg section
  - replaced a couple tabulations by spaces
  - replaced unused variables "a" and "b" by underscores in parse_tag()

Nevertheless I would suggest a few improvements:

Make it a bit more robust against unexpected input. It would be nice
to track context more thoroughly while parsing tags. For instance the
"required" tag should be ignored if not a child of "starttls" element.
Your parsing function already offers everything to do it properly.

You might also try to standardize the output to harmonize it with
other scripts. The stdnse.format_output() function is the standard way
to display nested named tables [1]. I am thinking about the XMPP
server mechanisms, that could be displayed under a single "Mechanisms"
label (as ssl-enum-ciphers.nse does for instance [2]).

Regards.

[1] http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/stdnse.html#format_output
[2] http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/ssl-enum-ciphers.html

--