Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: new coder looking for direction

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 14:31:43 -0500

On 05/05/2011 02:18 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
Hello all:
I have been coding in c, c++, assembly and a few others for quite some time now. I don't know a whole lot about network security, but I really like Nmap. I'm curious if there is a way that I can get started helping out? What is needed that I could work with?

Welcome, Tyler!

Once you grab the source (http://nmap.org/book/install.html#inst-svn), take a look at the todo/nmap.txt file. There are a lot of ideas there that you may be interested in. Another good approach is to think of something that you wish was better about Nmap. My first contribution was 24 lines of C++ (including comments) that added broadcast packet support to Nping, because that was what I needed at the time.

Writing NSE scripts is also a valuable way to contribute to the project. The language (Lua) is not hard to learn, the write-compile-test loop is shorter (without the compile stage!), so the experience is often more gratifying than working with the C++ source.

Whatever you decide to do, feel free to ask the list for pointers and suggestions of where to find or put the relevant code.

Dan