Nmap Development mailing list archives

why is there no databases in nmap instead of text files??

From: Gulshan Kumar <gulshan.yaadav () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:24:50 +0530

Hi,
Nmap maintains databases for os-detection and service-detection along with
other databases in different data-files. Also it sends probes (and packets)
for various detection purposes to the target based on some conditions.
Wouldn't it be beneficial to have some sort of database management system
(may be sqlite if looking for light with no explicit server requirement) to
maintain this ever-increasing data (in terms of amount of data per file as
well as no. of files). If it was like reading a data file sequentially from
beginning to end-of-file for each reading, data files would serve good
enough. May be i m wrong here, although I know that in some cases nmap has
to go sequentially through whole data-file. But based on some condition
checks (and hoping to have increase in data in these files in future
continuously), it should be better to have some sort of dbms support in
nmap!!! I am not suggesting that it would bring a huge increase in
efficiency of Nmap (at least not in near future) but should act as
enhancement for nmap.

Before sending to mailing list,tried a google search with query:
site:http://seclists.org/nmap-dev database OR sql OR postgres
But could not find any discussions about this in first two pages.

Views please!!! Also correct me if you don't mind..