Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap on VPS

From: Shinnok <admin () shinnok com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:18:20 +0300

Hi,

Nmap defaults to simple CONNECT scan if not run as root on a default
scan with no additional arguments.
If run with root privileges then nmap does a SYN scan[1], thus I would suspect
some firewall settings on your office network that mitigate the SYN scan.
Run nmap with the -v argument to get more detailed output.

Also look for the line:
Not shown: XXX filtered/closed ports.

Filtered would hint that yes, a firewall is in place and could potentially block
the SYN scan.

[1] http://nmap.org/book/man-port-scanning-techniques.html