Nmap Development mailing list archives

Dual Listening on IPV4 & 6 in broker and listen modes

From: "Colin L. Rice" <ricec2 () rpi edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:58:43 -0500

Hello,

At the request of David I rewrote broker to allow clients using IPV4 and
IPV6 to communicate with each other using the default broker as well as
rewriting the whole dual listening system to make a little more sense
and be more maintainable.

However due to a weird feature of Linux where :: binds to 0.0.0.0 as
well we added a change where all IPV6 sockets now specify IPV6_V6ONLY so
on Linux networking stacks you can have a dual listening mode without
collisions. This means however that ncat -l -6 :: will not accept IPV4
connections in their IPV6 address format on Linux.

The patch is attached. Does anyone have any feedback? Would you prefer
that IPV6_V6ONLY only be set for ncat -l or ncat --broker and it be
turned off -6 is passed?

-Colin

P.S. I know my test case in ncat-test.pl doesn't pass. Manual testing
shows that this works. I'm looking into it now.