Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat accepting connections without --keep-open

From: Shinnok <admin () shinnok com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:41:06 +0300

On 06/21/2011 01:23 AM, Shinnok wrote:

Should closing the socket take effect in case of --max-conns also? Or
allow just the number of connections specified and then close as soon as
that number is achieved?

Eg. from the man page for context:

--
Bind a shell to TCP port 8081, limit access to hosts on a local
network and limit the maximum number of simultaneous connections

ncat --exec “/bin/bash” --max-conns 3 --allow 192.168.0.0/24 -l
8081
---

The above examples doesn't specify --keep-open.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to push this one up a little bit, since I
need an answer in order to know how to proceed.

Should --max-conns take effect only in server listening modes(-k,
--chat, --broker) or single listening too?

-Shinnok

Got confirmation on this one, --max-conns should not take effect in
listening mode without --keep-open or --broker.

A warning will be added to Ncat informing the user that the limit will
be ignored, if he calls Ncat with --max-conns in (single) listening mode:

./ncat -l --max-conns 3
Ncat: Maximum connections limit will be ignored. Add --keep-open otherwise.

Regards,
Shinnok