Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap in GSoC - student idea

From: Hiemanshu Sharma <hiemanshu () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:11:01 +0530

On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:29 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:33:48AM +0530, Hiemanshu Sharma wrote:
Hello everyone. My name is Hiemanshu, and I am student in India doing my
engineering here. I contribute to The Fedora Project and play quite a few
different roles for them. (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Hiemanshu)
I am interested in the Zenmap redesign Idea. I have experience with using
nmap and zenmap and also writing GUIs. I am currently a co-maintainer of the
Fedora Security Lab spin (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/security/) which is
also being recommended by OSSTMM for their course work. I have a good python
and PyQt knowledge with the help of which I am planning on redesigning the
Zenmap GUI. I am still working on a rough sketch and a few more ideas
regarding the redesign, once I have something concrete I will be back with
my ideas.

-H

P.S. Just some stuff I wrote in my free time :

https://github.com/hiemanshu/komedia ( A comic reader, code is still a work
in progress)
https://github.com/hiemanshu/pyqrencode ( A GUI to generate QRCodes, you
need the qrencode command line program installed for it to work)
https://github.com/hiemanshu/qrencoder (A plasmoid to the above program)
https://github.com/hiemanshu/exkayseedee ( A game written to check your XKCD
skills)

Thanks for writing to introduce yourself. It's nice to see a variety of
personal projects and involvement with Fedora. I'm looking forward to
seeing your ideas.

David Fifield

So after looking completely in the way the GUI works, I have come with a few ideas and they are listed below.

1) Updating everything to current python and Qt (and also lay foundation for a python 3 port)
2) Adding a new save as option to save as HTML (fancy reports are cool)
3) Checking for targets in the GUI before even sending it to the backend (http://i.imgur.com/TOrRQ.png shouldn't
happen, it should tell you even before it starts that its illegal)
4) Also check for the options being sent to the console (this is something that can keep changing every version but the
GUI should be patched to support the new options as well) http://i.imgur.com/eOHam.png
5) The tabs that are empty shouldn't be displayed
6) Show the console output the current way but when scan is complete show the output in a new fancy window (with the
current tabs and other stuff)
7) Add options to show new scans in a new window or the current way (Preferences? )
8) "Where is my documentationz?" Currently there is no help that can be seen from the GUI (This is fine for *most*
linux users, but imagine a windows user with no internet connection[doing a test on a internal network in his basement]
will have no access to the documentation, the current man page can be put up in the help section, but it should be
there)

This is just a few changes that I think the GUI needs right now, I am sure there are a lot more stuff to be changed,
but not all ideas don't occur instantly.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

-H