Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap in GSoC - student idea

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:51:04 -0700

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 04:42:12PM +0530, Hiemanshu Sharma wrote:

1) Updating everything to current python and Qt (and also lay
foundation for a python 3 port)

What do you mean by "current Python"? We use the most recent Python 2.6
and PyGTK as far as I know. We don't use Qt at all. If we move to Python
3, we would abandon the Python 2 code completely (unless we can make the
same code work on both)--we don't want to maintain two copies of the
program.

I am planning to redesign it in PyQt because for one the libs in GNOME 3 are
going to change, and you would have to maintain two copies for it if you
want to support both (Qt works on all 3 OSes much better than GTK does and
also supports mobile devices)

I can only speak for myself, but it's going to take some pretty
compelling evidence to convince me that rewriting Zenmap with PyQt is a
good idea. (In other words, it's not likely.) The other mentors probably
feel the same way. Doing that job alone will probably take all summer,
trading new compatibility problems and bugs for few benefits.

I'm not trying to put your idea down, just trying to give you realistic
expectations of how proposals will be evaluated.

It may seem contradictory for me to say this, but I wouldn't be opposed
to Zenmap's GUI being rewritten completely, however it would have to
proceed from someone with a clear, unified design that removes Zenmap's
current UI infelicities. It couldn't just be a straight port of the
current UI.

David Fifield