Nmap Development mailing list archives

Gsoc 2011 idea about IPv6

From: 许伟林 <mzweilin () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:26:49 +0800

Hi all,
    I'm a college student from Beijing, China. This is my 3rd year of
computer science. I'm very interested in nmap so I would like to apply for
the Gsoc 2011 program.
    Actually, I have been researching IPv6 in part time for half a year and
got some experiences. Last November, I helped Simon Kelley improve a feature
of Dnsmasq about IPv6 DNS. (Mail-subject named 'Modification to the feature
of config-static DNS    record in dual-stack network.' in
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2010q4/subject.html).

    In addition, my team has created a open-source project 'stateful
IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Address Translation (NAPT66)' last month in
http://code.google.com/p/napt66/. NAPT66 has been deployed in several types
of middle-box routers and Chinese people can use it to reduce the expensive
cost of accessing Internet.
    I have read the 6 required items of IPv6 support carefully, and got some
ideas.
    For the first 5 items, are the basic theories the same to IPv4's ways?
    For the 6th item about IPv6 host discovery, I think we have more than
two ways to handle this problem.
    First, we can used a public BGP information to narrow down the IPv6
address space so that 2^128 times of scanning are not necessary.
    Second, we can use the worm's technique to discover all active hosts in
a subnet. I recently read a paper about worm exploiting IPv6 network. (A new
worm exploiting IPv6 and IPv4-IPv6 dual-stack networks: experiment,
modeling, simulation, and
defense<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5274918>)
It involves a host discovery technique based on the Duplicate Address
Detection (DAD) mechanism of the stateless address autoconfiguration method.
By sending a spurious Router Advertisement packet and listening all Neighbor
Solicitation packets, we could collect all active hosts in the same subnet
within 0.5s. The theory is simple but we must find a way to avoid disturbing
the network accessing since the wrong router information may cause the hosts
offline.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more discussions about IPv6 support.
--
The 6 lacking features of IPv6 support:
    1. OS Detection is not supported

--