Nmap Development mailing list archives

regarding rpc based protocols and rpcinfo script

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:37:21 +0200

  hello

I am looking at the rpcinfo nse script. Why is it not in the default category?

rpcinfo also does not upgrade version detection information from
rpcbind to portmapper. Why? Is it because one rpc service can serve
multiple functions? I think we still report some http servers as
bittorrent trackers. How is that different? Could we record the
portmapper feature as an extra version detection detail?

It has been pointed out that nmap could do a better job in scanning
http based systems. It seems we could also do a better job in scanning
rpc based systems. It would be good, if we could identify interesting
rpc based protocols and add related script ideas to the wiki at
https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Script_Ideas#Incoming

  --Toni