Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap script ideas wiki

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:14:29 +0200

I added most of the script ideas I posted earlier. I left some
peer-to-peer ones out for now as they seem a bit complex. The problem
present in many of them is that the protocol may be really open and
powerful, so deciding how far to go in the scan is hard. The typical
questions I run into are. Is the user interested in all the
information? How many scripts should be created, and what roles should
they take? Should we try not to affect the system, or try to affect it
a lot?

Also, do we want to crawl the network to find out information about
the node we are scanning. For example should we ask all neighbors of
one node to provide an IP address for the node we are scanning? Some
neighbors might have different ideas of what the address for the node,
and I would not be surprised if some peer-to-peer protocol would let
us ask that question. We might also want to crawl the network to find
new nodes to scan, but that is a different story.

I also added a firesheep-discovery script to the list. Firesheep is a
session high jacking tool that may be used to take over unprotected
network sessions on wireless networks. The firesheep-discovery prerule
script would list hosts that are running Firesheep on the current LAN.
The script should support adding discovered hosts as scan targets. A
tool called BlackSheep does this type of discovery. The discovery can
be done by creating fake sessions, and capturing messages that
Firesheep sends to gather details for available sessions.