Nmap Development mailing list archives

Google Summer of Code Nmap Ideas Wanted!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:53:22 -0700

Hi Folks!  If you've been paying any attention at all, you know how
valuable the last six years of Summer of Code have been for Nmap.  The
Nmap Scripting Engine, Zenmap, Ncat, Nping, Ncrack, and Ndiff were all
started by summer of code students.  And the ideas for those projects
themselves came from our annual SoC "ideas" page where we suggest
ideas for the coming year.

I have just completed an initial ideas page for 2011 SoC:

http://nmap.org/soc/

Please take a look, and let nmap-dev (or me) know if you have any
other ideas to consider.  Or if you have improvements (or
clarification requests or even just typo discoveries) in the items
already on the list, we'd like to hear those too.

I filled out the GSoC 2011 organization application on Friday and
Google will announce their decisions on Friday the 18th.  This gives
us a week to finalize our ideas page before we start getting flooded
by potential applicants.  And these folks will have 100+ other open
source organizations to choose from, so we need to offer them some
interesting and compelling projects.

Remember, this is your chance to post your dream features for Nmap and
we may be able to get Google to fund someone else to actually write
that feature for us :).

Cheers,
Fyodor