Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New to Nmap

From: ambarisha b <b.ambarisha () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 02:19:17 +0530

Hi,
I know I am a bit late(out of station).I have been studying Nmap
Network Discovery like you guys said.Will finish it in 2 days.While
referring the code ,I saw this in the todo folder(david.txt).

Nsock:
Add a buffer to each iod, so that you can ask for a certain number of
bytes
  or lines and get exactly that many, no more. Venkat wrote a proposal
at
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/0600.html.

I read the proposal, but I couldn't figure out the reason to add a
buffer to iod to serve this specific purpose.The facility is already
built into networking sockets.But may be do_actual_read() is not
availing it.In the recvfrom() (line:637) call instead of passing
sizeof(buf) as an argument, if max_chunk is passed, then it should
do.Anyway max_chunk is being set to the requested no.of bytes if the
call is readbytes().Would this work or am I missing something?
If this has specifically been assigned to David , I am sorry of nosing in.

Cheers,
Ambarisha

PS:@Fyodor:Great work on the book!