Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Minor zenmap feature

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:21:49 -0800

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 01:29:18AM +0530, ambarisha b wrote:
Hi,

I have attached a minor patch that does :

o [Zenmap] Consider a couple ideas from Norris Carden
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q2/228):
 - remember last save and/or open location for new saves and/or opens
 - default save location option

"default save location option" seems a bit vague.I assumed it means
previous location in a file prev_dir.conf in plain text.I thought
pickle and marshal aren't safe enough.Is there a better way to do
this?

Thanks for giving this your attention.

Where is the prev_dir.conf file created? In the current directory? I
don't like adding new configuration files, but if we do they should go
in ~/prev_dir.conf like the others. See zenmapCore/Paths.py for some
code dealing with this.

Instead of having references to prev_dir.conf in different places in the
code, how about extending one or more of the classes in
zenmapGUI/FileChoosers.py? You could have one that is instantiated with
information needed to store its current directory, and then store it
whenever a file is saved.

David Fifield