Nmap Development mailing list archives

how difficult would it be to produce an nsedoc tool

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:18:17 -0600

I was running some nmap scans with NSE scripts and I kept referring
back to http://nmap.org/nsedoc/ to keep arguments for scripts.

I don't know an easy way to get this sort of information from the command line.

I thought about how perl has perldoc and you can do 'perldoc -f stat'
for instance to get details on the stat function or do 'perldoc Win32'
to get all the documentation on the Win32 module.  And I also
remembered that most of perldoc's output is generated from
documentation that is embedded in the scripts and modules themselves.

"Hey, that's similar to how NSE script documentation is already inside
the NSE script," I thought.  "I wonder if there is any way to use a
command line tool like nsedoc to get to that documentation?"

So that is my question to the gurus.  Is this possible or desirable?

-Jason