Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSEC Enumeration script

From: John Bond <john.r.bond () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 23:51:16 +0100

On 9 February 2011 23:07, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:
Hi John,

I've been able to test your script against a number of different servers and it seems to work well.
I experienced some read timeouts on one of the zones, not sure why, but the rest worked great.
Would it be possible/make sense to harmonize the output with the dns-zone-transfer script?
Good to know its working well, and ill take a look at
dns-zone-transfer like you say it makes sense
to keep things simlar

I should also mention that the last script i posted was wrong.  I had
not fully understood the NSEC.
Anyway i now have an out put like this
|     www.example.com:bla.example.com:A:AAAA:RRSIG:NSEC
|             3.3.3.3
|                       parent: bla.example.com
|                      A          1.1.1.1
|                      AAAA   1::1

Basicly there is a little bit more info and a lot more duplication.  I
think it might be better to just do an any query to all the enumerated
records.  but feed back welcome

Also, I very briefly browsed the script and changes to the library and have a few comments:
* You could replace the nmap.registry.args stuff with stdnse.get_script_args
* To format output returned by a script you could use the tab library (see dns-zone-transfer) or stdnse.format_output
Ok ill check this out

* The dns.lua patch adds a second identical answerFetcher[types.MX] function which should probably be removed
 oops copy and past must have got away from me :D

And thanks for the patch that is definitely one of those thing that
would have been there for ages.

one more thing if you want to turn of the resolution of the
enumeration set resolveAll = false.  will add this to the args at som
point

Thanks for the feed back
john