Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: printable traceroute results script

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 03:08:37 -0800

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:36:18AM +0200, Toni Ruottu wrote:
On 22 Jan 2011 00:32, "David Fifield" <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 01:04:24PM +0200, Toni Ruottu wrote:
hello

I wanted to print traceroute results on paper, so I created a simple
NSE script for turning traceroute results into graphviz notation. One
can then use a graphviz tool called dot to create printable graphs
automatically from the data produced by nmap. I hope it is useful. It
is very simple at the moment. Feel free to discus improvements though.
I was not sure what would make sense, so I thought I'd put out a
simple version instead.

Thanks Toni. I think this would be better as a separate script (Perl,
Python, Ruby) that runs on an Nmap XML output file. Then it could
include the routes to mutliple hosts in one graph.

It already does. Just add multiple hosts as scan targets.

You're right. I'm sorry, I thought it was a hostrule script and not a
postrule. I can see the use in a script like this, in fact I wrote
something similar when I was working on traceroute. But I don't think
it's generally useful enough to include with Nmap. Especially when
Zenmap does something so similar.

David Fifield