Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: error semantics of faulty dependencies

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 02:31:20 -0800

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 04:38:54PM +0200, Toni Ruottu wrote:
We just had a case on nmap-dev where a programmer accidentally stated
dependencies = {"script-name.nse"}
which is wrong. The correct way is to leave out the file extension. So
dependencies = {"script-name"}
would have been correct.

I have done the same error myself, and I can tell you it is really
hard to debug. Could nmap be modified to include some sort of check
that would catch these errors and give a clear error message when run
with debugging flags?

I think we could either 1) show a warning when a dependency ends in
".nse", or 2) allow dependencies to end in ".nse". If someone has a
patch for either one I'll apply it.

David Fifield