Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Work on IPv6 support

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:21:38 +0200

What will be supported after this fix? UDP scanning over IPv6?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 02:09:29AM +0530, ambarisha b wrote:
Hi,

Is anybody working on  extending the raw packet support for IPv6 ? Its
in the todo list.If anybody is working on it,I would like to join in.

Yes, work is in progress in the branch

/nmap-exp/david/nmap-ipv6

I haven't worked on this for a while, but there are good primitives for
raw packet sending and receiving. Also IPv6 traceroute works (but so far
only interprets responses from the target itself, not TTL exceeded

./nmap -6 -n -Pn -sn --traceroute ipv6.google.com

I should say that it works "up to interface difficulties." I got stalled
on this work because I had trouble in matching up interfaces to
destinations. I think that libdnet doesn't provide enough information.
You can see how the IPv6 interfaces are matched up with --iflist. If you
are interested I can think back to recall what the problem was exactly
and what should be done to fix it.

David Fifield