Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Dropbox LanSync host collection

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:36:59 +0100

On 14 jan 2011, at 17.46, Andrew Orr wrote:

Usage/output patch attached as requested. Note this is against the current script in svn.

On a side note - while we were working on this script (and just now when I was testing it again) we ran into the
problem of trying to bind to a port already in use - ie if you're running the dropbox client on the system you're
scanning from. You can see this in the debug output (-d3) but IIRC we couldn't figure out a way to catch this from
NSE and display a decent error message.

I just looked at this and as far as I can tell the problem occurs as the real bind isn't performed until a send or
receive operation is called on the unconnected UDP socket.
The bind call simply populates the socket parameters so that they contain the correct values once the real bind is
called. I'm not really sure of how to handle/fix this.

Debug output is: NSOCK (0.0820s) Bind to 0.0.0.0 failed (IOD #1)

In this case, the nmap.new_socket("udp").bind() call is returning a true status in this case when it seemingly should
be false. Anyone encounter this before?

On another side note, at our next hackathon (Saturday) we're baking cupcakes for [1]. If only nmap scripts were as
tasty as cupcakes :P.

Cheers,
-Andrew

[1] http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Global_Hackerspace_Cupcake_Challenge