Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug/feature tracker?

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:07:25 +0100

On 01/14/2011 05:48 PM, Ron wrote:
Hey,

I'm starting to feel like we seriously need to consider some form of a
bug/feature tracker for Nmap (and sub-projects). There are a lot of
requests/features/bugs that get forgotten about (I'll take the blame
for some of those :) )

I'm not sure they get forgotten. David usually does an outstanding job
keeping track of everything that is said on the list. The problem is
that he doesn't have time to do everything and the rest of us only
maintain/pay attention to small parts of the project (like me with
nping, or others with NSE, etc).

and, while I know we have a TODO file, it seems like it would be
easier to track new features and to plan releases if we had an actual
bug tracker.

I agree. I know Nmap has a kind of old-school development style but I
think a bug tracker would be helpful. The Tcpdump/Libpcap project uses
sourceforge and they seem to be happy with it. I'd rather NOT use
Sourceforge (because it requires registration and involves receiving
newsletters, etc), but we could host something like Trac
(http://trac.edgewall.org/), which is quite easy to use. Bugzilla is
another option.

One of the problems with using a bug tracker is that users may only
report bugs to the tracker and not discuss the issues on the list. On
the other hand, I guess there are users that do not want to subscribe to
the list and therefore do not report bugs or request features.

Just my two cents.

Luis.