Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Showing local functions in NSEDoc

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:12:59 -0400

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:

Hey all,

I'm working on my talk for bsides in Ottawa, and was looking at the NSEDoc for some of the libraries, like DNS and
DHCP. I noticed that the NSEDoc pages display both local and public methods. In my opinion, this is a bad idea
because I rarely want people looking at my local functions unless they're looking at my actual code.

Looking at DHCP, for example:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/dhcp.html

There are over a dozen functions listed, but there's only one that people should really care about, and that's the
only one that, in my code, is public.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this? Any reason it should be the way it is?

Ron

The local functions might be later exposed in another way so I don't
think we should stop NSEDoc from handling local functions. Instead,
author's should not turn on NSEDoc (---) when documenting private
functions. (They can still use the NSEDoc syntax for consistency I
guess.)

--
- Patrick Donnelly