Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Showing local functions in NSEDoc

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:48:07 -0700

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:51:48PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:17:30PM -0500, Ron wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:13:06 -0500 Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:

But it comes back to Patrick's comment, what if these functions
are exposed another way in the future? Having proper NSEDoc for
local functions might be appropriate in some cases, especially if
we want complete documentation (not just for the interface), but
it isn't something that should be on the main site, in my opinion.
I'm willing to go either way, though. I'm okay with removing the
'---' on any function that doesn't need to be documented on
nmap.org.

This is what I do when documenting local functions. I'm also in favor of
removing local functions from the NSEDoc. NSEDoc already has the
capability to do that built in--you just use the --nolocals option.

OK, I've added --nolocals to the generation Makefile and regenerated
the pages at http://nmap.org/nsedoc/.  If there is a desire to have
the local functions documented on the nsedoc pages at some point,
maybe we'll put them in separate sections at the bottom so they don't
obscure the public interface.

Cheers,
-F