Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] DoS script: smb-flood.nse

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:38:28 -0700

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 09:46:32AM -0500, Ron wrote:
I discovered yesterday that most SMB servers have a global connection
limit of about 11 users. After that limit's reached, it seems that
everybody has to wait for somebody to leave. To test how programs
react to an exhausted connection list, I was getting tired of opening
a dozen smbclient instances so I threw together smb-flood.nse.

Any thoughts? It's another unusual script, because it has a very
specific purpose (and, in fact, never ends). I don't know how useful
it is to include, but it definitely has a use.

I think this is fine to include. You can commit it.

Maybe we'll end up deprecating the "all" category. Like Patrick says,
what people probably want is "safe" instead. "all" was marginally useful
when we had only a few dozen scripts, but I don't want it to hold us
back from adding useful special-purpose scripts.

David Fifield