Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Script Pre-scanning and Post-scanning example

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:46:46 -0500

On 09/27/2010 03:19 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:37:22AM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
On 08/11/2010 01:53 PM, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Hi Kris,

On 2010-08-10 19:19:41 -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
* The pre-scan output is not the usual snmp-interfaces output, but rather just
a line stating how many targets were successfully added.  The prerule
functionality for this script in this patch is to add targets and so I thought
the output should pertain solely to that.
Yes, if the user runs the script scan with --script-args "newtargets"
then he wants to add targets to Nmap, however if the script argument
"newtargets" is not present, and the other necessary script arguments that
will let the script to run in the pre-scanning (prerule) phase, then
perhaps the user wants simply to see the *output* of the script in the
pre-scanning phase.

OK, that makes sense.  I wasn't thinking about it the right way: I was more
just in a mode of "cool, we can script host discovery".  prerule + target
adding just seemed to be synonymous since I only glanced at commits and emails
but hadn't followed closely (too bad for me).

I've been quite busy lately, but I finally got a chance to update this patch.

It still adds all of the interface addresses to the target queue, but the
script will also run as a prerule even if newtargets isn't specified.  Either
way the normal script output is now shown when run as a prerule, and if it
adds targets it still also tells how many were successfully added like the
previous patch.

Thanks, this is good, please commit it. Just one change, though: make
the script arguments be snmp-interfaces.host and snmp-interfaces.port.

Cool, I changed the arg names as you requested and committed as r20384.

David Fifield

Cheers,
Kris Katterjohn