Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Limits for qscan

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:25:08 -0500

On 8/13/10 12:18 AM, David Fifield wrote:
From todo/nmap.txt:

o [NSE] In the same way as our -brute scripts limit their runtime by
   default, I think qscan should be less intense by default.  For
   example, perhaps it could run by default on no more than 8 open
   ports, plus up to 1 closed port.  Right now it does things like
   running on 65,000+ closed ports and bloats scan time (and output).
   Of course there could (probably should) still be options to enable
   more intense qscanning.

I added new script arguments qscan.numopen and qscan.numclosed. They
default to 8 and 1. You can disable either limit by setting it to a
negative number.

We talked about this a bit at DEFCON and I am glad to see this change.
I will try to test this out a bit and provide feedback... Currently
my standard scan configuration excludes qscan.nse because it was
causing the scan times to skyrocket.

Thanks much,

Tom