Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Weird Nmap behaviour on Windows (Latest SVN version)

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:35:13 +0200

On 07/07/2010 05:09 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 04:14:21PM +0200, Luis MartinGarcia. wrote:

I've found some weird Nmap behavior on Windows 7. Apparently Nmap
(also Nping) is not able to open my network interface. It says that is
unable to open "eth14". I've used the latest SVN version (r18639).
However, I can confirm that the problem must have been introduced
before the nmap-dedup branch merge, because I was able to reproduce it
with earlier revisions. Here's the list of versions I've tested:

- Current SVN version: Does not work. (compiled with VS 2008)
- Nmap 5.30BETA1: Works fine (downloaded from insecure.org and installed)
- Nmap 5.10BETA1: Works fine (the one I had installed originally)

Try to find the find the exact revision where this started working. This
sounds like a lot of work but it probably only takes half an hour if you
use a binary search. I recommend first testing r16969; that was just
before a big change to interfaces and routing. nmap-dedup was merged in
r17962, and we know that it is broken in that revision. That means there
are only about 1000 revisions to binary search.

Start with

svn update -r 16969 --ignore-externals . nsock nbase zenmap ncat nping

If that revision shows the problem, you'll have to go further back. (But
no further than 5.10BETA1, which was r16181.) If it doesn't have the
problem, I would next try

svn update -r 16970 --ignore-externals . nsock nbase zenmap ncat nping

because that's the most likely candidate. Then continue the binary
search with

svn update -r 17500 --ignore-externals . nsock nbase zenmap ncat nping

and so on.

No problem. I'll let you know when I find the exact revision.

Luis MartinGarcia.