Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMap Scripts Vs Nessus

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 20:53:31 +0200

On Thursday 05 August 2010 19:03:29 DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
I think that sums it up best.  Nessus and OpenVAS are designed to be
Vulnerability Management systems while Nmap is designed to be a
Vulnerability Scanner which can provide data to a Vulnerability
Management system.

hm, no. At least this categorisation appears too simple to me.

There is still a big difference between OS/port/service detection
and vulnerability scanning. I think Nmap is closer to the first
than to the latter.

Of course the terms are not too well defined and leave
enough room for misunderstanding here ...

Best

        Jan