Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Defcon (and Black Hat) plans!

From: CleBeer <clebeer () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:57:38 -0300

Very nice...

I'll be there and hope to meet you guys for some beer... =D

cheers

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:

Hi Folks!  Conference season is upon us and the world's largest hacker
conference is just two weeks away!  The Nmap Project is participating
in Defcon and the Black Hat Briefings, and I hope many developers and
community members can make it!

[== Official Nmap Presentations ==]

I'm particularly excited about a presentation I'll be giving with
David Fifield at both Defcon and Black Hat.  The topic is on Mastering
the Nmap Scripting Engine.  I don't want to give too much away, but we
have some great demos planned!  Here is the abstract:

 Most hackers can use Nmap for simple port scanning and OS detection,
 but the Nmap Scripting Engine (NSE) takes scanning to a whole new
 level. Nmap's high-speed networking engine can now spider web sites
 for SQL injection vulnerabilities, brute-force crack and query MSRPC
 services, find open proxies, and more. Nmap includes more than 125
 NSE scripts for network discovery, vulnerability detection,
 exploitation, and authentication cracking.

 Rather than give a dry overview of NSE, Fyodor and Nmap
 co-maintainer David Fifield demonstrate practical solutions to
 common problems. They have scanned millions of hosts with NSE and
 will discuss vulnerabilities found on enterprise networks and how
 Nmap can be used to quickly detect those problems on your own
 systems. Then they demonstrate how easy it is to write custom NSE
 scripts to meet the needs of your network. Finally they take a quick
 look at recent Nmap developments and provide a preview of what is
 soon to come. This presentation does not require any NSE experience,
 but it wouldn't hurt to read http://nmap.org/book/nse.html.

This is my first Black Hat or Defcon talk since 2008.  You can see
that presentation video at http://insecure.org/presentations/BHDC08/.

Here are the dates, times, and places:

Black Hat: Wednesday, July 28 at 4:45 PM in the Augustus 5+6 rooms
Defcon: Friday, July 30 at 5:00 PM in Track 1

After the Defcon talk, we will have a 1 hour Q&A discussion (sort of
like an Nmap BoF) in the room designated for Track 1 Q&A.  This worked
quite well in 2008, with a few dozen people participating.

Ron Bowes will also be doing live demonstrations and discussions of
the Nmap Scripting Engine (and particularly his excellent SMB scripts)
in the Black Hat "Arsenal" section near the Exhibit Hall.  You'll find
him at Station 5 on Thursday July 29 from 8AM to 12:30PM.  David and I
will probably drop by for some of that too.

[== Parties! ==]

Any Nmap developers who are able to attend the event should email me
for an invitation to the exclusive Nmap developer dinner and/or party!
You don't need to be a committer, just be listed in the CHANGELOG
(http://nmap.org/changelog.html).

[== Other Presentations ==]

Here are some presentations I couldn't resist promoting even though
they aren't exclusively about Nmap:

**Patrick Thomas: BlindElephant: WebApp Fingerprinting and Vulnerability
               Inferencing
http://defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-speakers.html#Thomas

Not only is this talk interesting in its own right, it is right before
David & my Nmap talk at Black Hat and in the same room. So you can
watch them back to back!  If you miss this at Black Hat, you can catch
it at Defcon at 2PM Friday (Track 5).

**Ryan Linn - Metasploit: Tag-Team Penetration And Information Gathering
http://defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-speakers.html#Linn

While the focus of this talk is on Metasploit, Ryan will also
demonstrate his Metasploit mods for remote Nmap scanning.  He is
giving this talk three times: at Security BsidesLV on Wednesday at
11:00 AM, as a Defcon Skybox presentation on Saturday 1:00 PM in
Skybox 206, and then at Defcon proper on Sunday at 10:00 AM.  He will
also be available for demos and questions at the Black Hat Arsenal
Station 5 on Wednesday the 28th from 1:30 PM until 5:00 PM.

**Barnaby Jack - Jackpotting Automated Teller Machines Redux
http://defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-speakers.html#Jack

This should be an awesome talk on exploiting ATM machines!  Barnaby
even plans to bring a couple ATMs and demo local and remote attacks.
let's hope it doesn't get pulled like last year!  This talk may not
sound Nmap-related it, but I see it as a potential way to fund open
source software development like Nmap :).  Catch it at Black Hat on
Wednesday at 1:45 PM or at Defcon on Saturday at 11:00 AM.

FYI, note that there is a talk at Defcon named "Operating System
Fingerprinting for Virtual Machines".  The abstract doesn't make this
clear, but it is actually fingerprinting by reading the filesystem
disk image of virtual machines.  It might be an interesting talk, but
it isn't relevant to Nmap's TCP/IP fingerprinting method of remote OS
detection.

I can't wait to see many of you soon in Las Vegas!
-Fyodor

--
Cleber S. Brandão

clebeerpub.blogspot.com