Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFC: New Nping "Echo Mode"

From: Dražen Popović <drazen.popovic () fer hr>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 00:39:27 +0200

Hi Luis, this looks great.
A few things came to mind while reading your "NPING NEW ECHO MODE
PROPOSAL".
If it was me using the echo mode I would very much like to see the RFC
like output style. The packet modifications would be easy to spot and it
would really aid the troubleshooting process.

Now the "nping --echo-server" thingy. It would be great if nping would
have some mechanisms which would, once invoked with the --echo-client,
start a new instance of a "nping --echo-server" and when done terminate
the service. For example this could be implemented with SSH or even SMB
(if Windows machines). One would need to supply the credentials for the
specified protocol, and then the nping client would execute the "nping
--echo-server" remotely. When the job is done the nping echo service
would terminate. Why all this? Well every living service could
potentially represent a security issue, so to minimize the risk one
would need to minimize the life period of a service. Sorry if all of
this seems too far fetched.

Other things that interests me is the NEP protocol. Which authentication
methods it uses? Why make a new protocol? Can an existing one be used
instead? A good reference to this matter is the protocol used in
Nessus/OpenVAS client to server communication (OTP/OMP). First it
started out simple...[1]