Nmap Development mailing list archives

RFC: New Nping "Echo Mode"

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 23:37:40 +0200

Hi,

As some of you may know already, Fyodor and I are currently working on a
new exciting feature for Nping: the "Echo mode". What we are basically
trying to do is to determine how the packets that Nping sends, look like
when they reach their destination. This would be like sending a postal
package to someone and having them email you a photo of the package when
they get it, so you can see the differences and determine things like if
it was damaged in transit, if it was opened by some curious postman,
etc. For us, it could be used to detect middle boxes like NATs, proxies,
firewalls, etc.

I attach a txt file that describes this new mode from a user's
perspective. If you are interested in this new feature, this is the time
to talk and make comments on it. This is a first draft and nothing of it
is final, so any suggestion will be taken into account. Please, if you
have 5 minutes, we'd appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.