Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Web sites moved to the cloud!

From: Max <nmap () webwizarddesign com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:36:43 -0400

Great choice of providers!

On 6/22/10, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
Hi Folks.  You may recall a certain little web site, SVN, and email
outage last year just before Labor Day weekend.  Basically I went to
the middle of nowhere in the Nevada desert for Burning Man.  But soon
after I left cell phone coverage area, a hard drive failed in the main
colocated Insecure.Org server.  So I had no idea everything was down
while I was out frolicking on the Playa.  D'oh!

When I got back, I turned on my phone to find dozens of messages
including some from reporters.  They thought I might have been hacked
because of the Zero For Owned stuff going on at the time
(e.g. Kaminksy and Mitnick hacks, etc.).  I explained that it was just
a crash while I was on vacation, but at least one of the reporters
didn't seem to believe me and wrote something like "supposedly it was a
hard drive failure" :).

After that episode, I decided to either migrate to a more resilient
system or stop taking vacations.

So I'm moving the most important services to virtualization providers
where the providers are responsible for the hardware and failures can
be resolved by (the provider) moving the image to another system.
Ideally this migration happens automatically.  The key advantage is
that it doesn't require any of us to physically bring hardware to a
datacenter in Sunnyvale, CA when trouble happens.  I'm also setting
things up on the software level to make it easier to have backup
administrators.

With all that background out of the way, I'm happy to report that the
following web sites are now hosted on a Linode.Com VM:

http://Insecure.Org
http://Nmap.Org
http://SecLists.Org
http://SecTools.Org

SVN, and various other things are still hosted on a colocated machine.
I'm going to work on those (especially DNS) next.

Please let me know if you find anything broken.

Cheers,
Fyodor