Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: suggestion to nping

From: Andreas Hubert <ahu () censhare de>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:42:45 +0200

Hi Luis,

thanks that could help!
But I am always thinking, how I could use this new tool, to check and
report specific hosts and their ports.
For example, this -c0 could help, if I want to watch a specific host
spontaneous, like waiting till the connection to it is possible.
The other thing what would be interesting, is to monitor a specific
hosts, while it's open port is just sometimes closed, because of some
service problems. Therefore it would be good, to use nping in scripts.
For example
nping -p 22 somehost || echo this host is down | mailx -s "host is down"
ahu () censhare de
But now nping always returns exit code 0, because no matter if the port
was open or not, nping ran without an error.
Maybe there are other plans or ideas for nping and the best for me would
be something like
nping -p 22 --mailerr ahu () censhare de somehost
That if an connection error would appear, nping would send an E-Mail to
me, with the statistic of the executed nping!

Thanks
Andreas