Nmap Development mailing list archives

Call for a couple more nmap-dev moderators

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:01:49 -0700

Hi folks.  To keep discussion fast and furious, the nmap-dev list is
unmoderated and that works well.  But for anti-spam protection, there
are a few cases where messages do go through the moderation queue.
The primary cases are

o Messages from non-subscribers (allows new users to submit bug
  reports without having to subscribe)

o Subscriber messages which Spamassassin judges as likely spam
  (occasionally Spamassassin is wrong and tags a legit message as spam)

Every day there are maybe a dozen spam messages and a handful of
legitimate ones diverted to the queue.  I sift through them and
approve the good ones, but sometimes messages are delayed a day or two
because I'm away or behind on email.

Having one or two more moderators would help because one of us would
likely see each new message within a few hours.

As a moderator, you will receive emails for new messages.  I just
ignore spam messages (they will time out of the queue in a week or so
anyway).  For good messages, you can put them through to the list by
either visiting a web URL in the message or responding to the
moderation email with the moderation password.

If you'd like to volunteer, please let me know.  I'll probably only
appoint a copule people, as it is a waste of effort to have a big
group evaluating the same messages.

Thanks,
-F