Nmap Development mailing list archives

[Ncrack] nsock WRITE unexpected status problem

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:37:55 +0300

Hello,

I have been trying to test Intrusion Detection running on IBM z/OS machine. I found out that NCRACK was available.

I downloaded the most current version and ran it as seen below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ncrack mvsz:21 mvsz:22

Starting Ncrack 0.2ALPHA ( http://ncrack.org ) at 2010-06-14 10:40 Eastern Daylight Time
ftp://10.190.0.3:21 WARNING: nsock WRITE unexpected status 3

It took a long time for the message to show up, at least 1 hour. I saw no evidence of any attempts except for syslogd
recording of the entry.

Jim Lou
CITY of NEW YORK   NETWORK SYSTEMS
15 MTC 18th Floor
Brooklyn, NY   11201

jimlou () doitt nyc gov<mailto:jimlou () doitt nyc gov>

WORK - 718-403-8115
CELL  - 3475380825

718-403-8140 (Network Systems Hotline)

This is a response to: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q2/879 which for
some reason (perhaps lack of 'Subject' ?) didn't reach my inbox. Luckily, I
saw it by chance through twitter.

I tried running the latest version of Ncrack from a Windows machine against
an FTP and an SSH server at the same time and couldn't reproduce the
problem. The cracking goes on for more than 3 hours without any such fatal
message appearing. I specifically ran it against proftpd (1.3.3) and
opensshd (5.5).

Could you please paste some of the debugging output (rerun by using the
switch -d10) and also specify what kind of server software the target was
running?

Thanks,
ithilgore

--