Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NSE] request: feeding hosts back into Nmap

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:09:42 -0500

Hey all,

This is a feature I've thought of before, and that we've talked about before, but now I have a really good "first
script" that I'm hoping will provide motivation. This also goes well with the idea of "scan scripts" (as opposed to
host/port scripts).

The idea is, having a script that can find more IP addresses for Nmap to scan. Those IP addresses are fed into a new
hostgroup, and, when Nmap is done the current scan, it continues on with scanning the new hosts.

Technologically, I talked to Patrick a little and he doesn't think it'll be too bad.

Here are some ideas of what it can be used for:
o One person I've talked to via email and on IRC has used bruteforce to collected reverse DNS records for every host on
the Internet. He wants to write an Nmap script that will probe that database for a domain name (say, *.foxnews.com) and
generate the list of addresses to scan.
o Something else I posted about before is using a query to get every IP address in a given AS and scan them. Although
the usefulness of this can be disputed, it would be trivial to do with this type of script.
o The ntp-monlist script currently lists all IP addresses that have used an NTP server. This can potentially have an
option to feed those IP addresses back into Nmap.
o Other scripts can potentially find new targets, like one that queries a peer-to-peer port.

Clearly, there would have to be some kind of intelligence for host- or port-scripts, because if they run every time
there are going to be infinite loops to deal with. But the idea of having a scan-script that generates the addresses to
scan is a useful idea, I think.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org