Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: A new zombie port scanning attack

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:31:46 +0300

On 06/10/2010 04:36 PM, Richard Miles wrote:
Hi

If i understood correctly, you need a server that support this XMPP
service, so it's similar to a proxy, right?

Essentially, almost every XMPP server out there supports file-transfer
(either with the Jingle protocol or the Session Initiation protocol). This
means that you can use any of your 'fake' buddies or social engineered
victims into acting as 'zombies' to scan your target.

There is a more generic way to do  stealthy port scanning attack  in
order to conduct a portscan where the real IP is never disclosed ? I
would be very useful to scan external and internal networks with
reactive IPS that does nmap useless..

The good thing is that you can specify *any* kind of IP address in the
proxy (scanned target) list you send to the zombie host. You can use that
to scan hosts that are even behind NAT devices or otherwise restrictive
firewalls. The disadvantage is that the technique is really slow. I don't
know what you mean by a more generic way but what comes to mind is that if
services like Facebook ever support file-transfer through XMPP, then this
attack will become even more menacing (for obvious reasons).

Regards,
ithilgore

thanks