Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Script selection interface - Update

From: kirubakaran S <kirubakaran1989 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 12:15:58 +0530

Updated Design:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dwn8dz7_51cz637bg7

** Filtering Feature : OpenVAS filters plugins according to pattern
supplied by user. The pattern is applied on various attributes of
plugins. The attributes on which the pattern is  to supplied are
selected by user.

This is a nice feature. I'm trying to decide if we need a separate
filter language, or if we should limit it to the filter already
supported by NSE, strings like "(default or vuln) and not intrusive".
Using our existing filter language is nice from the point of view of
doing live update with the command line. However I can also see wanting
to do a fulltext search on the script descriptions.

  I  agree with you. We can use the filter already provided by NSE. I
changed my
design to reflect that change. User can enter the expressions and can
preview the
list of scripts.Choosing this facility provided by NSE will not confuse the
user, to learn
a new type of filtering scripts.

 The NSEDoc link is a good idea. I think it's important to show the
entire script description (several paragraphs) on this page. That's easy
enough to put in a scrolling text field. I think I agree with Fyodor
that we can leave out the author and license fields. Or just append that
data to the end of the text field, so people can see it by scrolling
down.

      Included in design a scrollable text box to show the complete
description.
Category and Author fields are appended to the Description.

   Anyway, I don't think it will be that hard to remove the help box from

this tab, or change its shape to fit the interface better. I would much
rather use up 25% of the space on a bigger description text box.

      Removed Help box to accommodate Description.

You are going to have to deal with space for arguments anyway, because
there's no limit to the number of arguments that a script can have. I
want you to design the interface for a script with 20 arguments. For
that you will need to use scrolling or a popup box or something.

  Included scrollable window for arguments list. Any number or arguments
can be
added.

That's a good thing to bring up, how we're going to show which scripts
are selected out of the master list of scripts. We could highlight or
checkbox the specific scripts, but that will get annoying when you have
to scroll up and down to see which scripts you've selected. Of course in
the final interface, the command line will always reflect the scripts
you've chosen, so at least there's a clue there. We could have another
box listing just the selected scripts (this could double as a preview of
scripts that will run with a specification like "http-*"). I dislike the
interfaces where there are two boxes with ? ? arrows between them, and
anyway that doesn't fit well with the requirement that we have to get a
list of scripts from a typed specification.

  I introduced a button to display a pop-up on selected scripts. A check-box
is provided
to each script,If the user wants to deselect the script, They can simply
uncheck the check box.
    Even in script-preview pop-up ,check-box is provided to each script and
user can select scripts directly from script preview pop-up. Once the script
is selected, it is removed from master list and never be showed in future
searches.

user is also free to select the scripts from master list.

Please remember a checkbok is present to select/deselect each script. I
can't
show it in my design.

-
Kirubakaran.S