Nmap Development mailing list archives

Script selection interface - Update

From: kirubakaran S <kirubakaran1989 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 19:34:58 +0530

Before you start implementing this, I want you to do the review of NSE
Facilitator and OpenVAS-Client. It is best to see what others have done
and how it can be improved.
Hi,
 I reviewed OpenVAS. They call scripts as plugins. OpenVAS  organised
plugins into group of Families. We call it category in nmap.Unlike nmap,in
 OpenVAS
a plugin can present in only one family.

I found the following things interesting about openVAS.

** Filtering Feature : OpenVAS filters plugins according to pattern supplied
by user.
   The pattern is applied on various attributes of plugins. The attributes
on which the pattern
   is  to supplied are selected by user.

** Plugin MetaData : Plugin metadata are presented to user in a separate
dialog box,when the
   user double-clicks the particular plugin.

 ** Check box is given to each script so whenever the user wants to select
the script.They can
simply check the check box and supply the arguments.

I have given link to my final mock interface[0]

Regarding this one, I think we only need the most important fields.
I'd suggest a link to the script's NSEDoc page for people to get
"license" and "author" field values.

** The Reason I have given link to NSEDoc instead of showing all the
metadata
is that, it will eat up more space and leaves less space for arguments.

** It is difficult to remove Help section Because it will affect all other
tabs.Help is a
text viewer already packed in to the window.

** I haven't included check box for each of the script.My interface designer
don't have
that option.I am planning to provide that in real interface.

I welcome suggestions to improve on this!

[0]http://docs.google.com/View?id=dwn8dz7_51cz637bg7
--

Kirubakaran.S