Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Sandboxing Techniques for Nmap in the Cloud

From: Doggy Dog <dogtown604 () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:14:23 +0200

just wanted remind you that people are aware of a lot rubbish
coming from the clouds.

http://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/2010815
(these are snort-sigs)

regards,

mex

2010/5/4 Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi>:
On Tue, 4 May 2010 00:08:48 -0400
Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com> wrote:

This is part of Alexandru's Cloud GSoC project [1]. I wondered what
everyone's thoughts were on sandboxing Nmap? I figure this has
particular importance with respect to NSE and misbehaving scripts. A
current evolving practice in distributed computing research is to
setup virtual machines dynamically that can do work. My feeling is
that we could setup something similar that launches VMs so Nmap can
run with root access while not being able to compromise the host. I
envision it using a distributed VM creator like Eucalyptus to
accomplish this.

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q2/350

This sounds good. I can test it once you have working model.  Please
contact me when needed.

---
Henri Salo