Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request list all IP addresses of a host name

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:19:34 -0600

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 09:11:21PM -0400, Derek wrote:
I routinely perform a ping scan of my home network using the netbios
name of the pc that I am running the scan from for instance sony7/24.
Anytime nmap gets to my windows xp machine named sonyxp, Nmap always
gives a warning message saying sonyxp resolves to 3 IP addresses using
192.168.1.6 instead. This is because I have 2 vmnet adapters from
having VMWare Player installed and an intel wifi adapter, even when I
use -vvv nmap will never list the other IP addresses. So I was
wondering if the ability to list all the IP addresses from a host name
could be added to nmap either by enabling a certain level of verbosity
or to always list the extra addresses regardless of the -v option.
Also, maybe ask the user which addresses to scan upon such conflicts.
Thoughts on this?

We do keep track of all the IP addresses, in the Target::resolved_addrs
member. But I don't think they're printed out anywhere. Please give us
an example of what you want the output to look like.

David Fifield