Nmap Development mailing list archives

Feature request list all IP addresses of a host name

From: Derek <depierjack () msn com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:11:21 -0400

I routinely perform a ping scan of my home network using the netbios name of the pc that I am running the scan from for
instance sony7/24. Anytime nmap gets to my windows xp machine named sonyxp, Nmap always gives a warning message saying
sonyxp resolves to 3 IP addresses using 192.168.1.6 instead. This is because I have 2 vmnet adapters from having VMWare
Player installed and an intel wifi adapter, even when I use -vvv nmap will never list the other IP addresses. So I was
wondering if the ability to list all the IP addresses from a host name could be added to nmap either by enabling a
certain level of verbosity or to always list the extra addresses regardless of the -v option. Also, maybe ask the user
which addresses to scan upon such conflicts. Thoughts on this?

Derek