Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ideas for Zenmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:09:30 -0600

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 02:45:49PM -0500, Norris Carden wrote:
I have a couple of usability suggestions for Zenmap. Some of these may
not be easily platform independent and may be incredibly out of scope.

- remember last save and/or open location for new saves and/or opens
- default save location option
- auto-save each scan option (per session)
- save a group of scans with the ability to open those scans again later
as a group (think the .m3u playlist for .mp3 files)
- would love an option to save the Nmap Output as a PDF (nice auditor
feature to decrease the risk that results have been changed)
- merge output of a group of scans to a single PDF would be good too
- maybe a copy to clipboard button for the Nmap Output

Thanks, these are some good ideas. I have some current best practices
for a few of them that may help you.

- save a group of scans with the ability to open those scans again later
as a group (think the .m3u playlist for .mp3 files)

The way that we do this is to save all the scans to a single directory.
Run your scans, then pick Save All Scans to Directory from the Scan
menu. To open them all again, use the Open Directory button instead of
Open in the open dialog.

- would love an option to save the Nmap Output as a PDF (nice auditor
feature to decrease the risk that results have been changed)

The way to do this now is to select Print from the Scan menu and then
print to a file. You need a recent version for it to work (Subversion
checkout).

- maybe a copy to clipboard button for the Nmap Output

For me it works to click inside the output window, then Ctrl-a Ctrl-c to
select all and copy. Another way is to save to a text file. Pick Save
from the Scan menu, then under Select File Type: choose "Nmap text
format".

David Fifield