Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: scanning an AS

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:48:22 +0000

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:56:38 -0500
Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:

Via Twitter (@zeroday):

"dreaming of day when i can type `nmap -p 80 AS4134` and it just
figures out all the IP addresses to scan"

How difficult would it be to look up an AS as a target? I don't know
how useful it'd be, but it sounds cool anyways.

It does sound cool.  I think spending the time to do the lookup
yourself will actually save a lot of time in the long run.

For example, if you look up insecure.org you find it is routed out
AS8121.  When you look up that AS you find they route 65792 IPs.  Do
you ever want to scan more than a /16 when you started with a target of
one or two hosts?

Here's a more extreme example.  If you look up UCSD you find out we're
AS7377.  When you look up our ranges you find out we route 17,057,024
IPs.  I can understand wanting to scan all of the IPs for an
organization but scanning all IPs for their AS is generally not what
you want.

Brandon