Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ssl-enum-ciphers hosed?

From: Thierry Zoller <Thierry () Zoller lu>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:51:11 +0100

Hi Mak,

MK> Your server (IIS 7.0) has some behaviours that I had not seen elsewhere. First,
MK> instead of failing a connection attempt with the Alert/Handshake Failed message,
MK> it RSTs the connection. I had been treating such failures as fatal, which
MK> resulting in no ciphers being found.

This also happens if certain host/ssl loadbalancers are used, you have
to weight it as not supported.

Note  for  SSLv2  , you actually have to issue a GET to the host using
the  cipher  you  detected to really test if the hosts supports sslv2.
Certain  SSLv2  engines to offer support on an ssl level but fail when
actually handling a request.

--
http://blog.zoller.lu
Thierry Zoller